Thursday, February 18, 2010

New job

For those of you who are on my Facebook you know that I got THE job I was hoping for a while back. You all may not know all the details and how much God blessed me with this job. So here is the whole story.

When Aaron was going through "inprocessing" when he first started work here he picked up a number for me to call about a job. From the moment we found out we were moving I said that I wanted to work on post for multiple reason. The main one being that I would have a lot of the same off days as Aaron. I put the number away and planned to call them when things were settled and I was ready to get back to work. Well on January 15 I was working on sorting through our stuff and started thinking about that number and wondering where I had put it. I dropped what I was doing and took off to find it. To this day I don't know why this crossed my mind but it did...and can only say it was God because when I found the number I called it. That lady gave me another number so I called that one. The lady that I talked to there told me to email her a resume. Well I had not even updated mine. I had one because we had done one for one of my school classes but I had to go update my last job. I did that and emailed it on. Only about 45 mins had lapsed during all this. Then the shock came. It had only been 10 minutes since I hit the send button and my phone started ringing. Since no one else had our house number I knew it was related but thought they were calling to say they couldn't open the file or something. To my surprise it was a man...not the lady I had talked to before...who said he would like to offer me a job. All I had to do was fill out the online app over the weekend and he would call me first thing on Tuesday (that Monday was a holiday) to give me the official offer! I was about to scream!!!! Aaron and the boys were outside so I took off running to tell him. I was in total shock!

On Tuesday I got the call and the official offer. From there I started getting email after email telling me everything I had to have to get my "credentialing" done. I have to say this was the oddest hiring technique I've heard of but I am working with he government now so I should have expected it. I had to have everything you can think of. Security clearance, fingerprints, shots, labs, physical, tons of signatures, letters of reference. All of this was done over emails and faxes! I have yet to speak face to face with anyone! Weird I know!!!! After I started to get everything done we started working on getting the kids in daycare. I had a long wait when getting the boys in daycare when we were in Alaska. Two months for Logan and over a year for Lane. So you can imagine my shock when they accepted Logan right away and then told me Lane was first on the list!!! Logan started the end of January and then Lane started a week and half ago. Huge blessing!

Since January though I've just been gathering info and waiting. All my stuff has been turned in since February 5 but I had still not been giving an official start date. Granted the snow has closed post and then Monday was a holiday and Tuesday was a DONSA (Day Of No Scheduled Activities) so that pushed things back since the people in charge of me now are military people. One of Aaron's friends said..."your in our world now!" Meaning I will understand just how the Army moves...and how "hurry up and wait" applies to everything military!!!! But finally yesterday I got the call that everyone who needed to approve me had approved me and I was finally ready to start. So Monday morning I will report at 0730 to start "inprocessing" (another military term) and training for my new job. Also on Monday I will find out what clinic I will be at. I was hired as a "dental assistant" and that job title could put me at any dental clinic. There are 5 on post and all treat only military member. No spouses or dependents. Even though my schooling was mostly "general dentistry" I have never worked general and haven't trained in general for almost two years. I will be grateful where ever they put me but my prayer is that they will put me in oral surgery which is what I love and where I would be the most comfortable. I have no doubt that I would pick the general dentistry stuff up quickly but it would just make my first day a lot better if I was completely confident in what I was doing and the instruments I was using. So if I can get you to pray with me that would be wonderful. But no matter where I end up I just want to thank God for putting this opportunity in my hands. God has been blessing my family over and over and I just can't thank him enough!!!!

1 comment:

Aishlea said...

Good luck! I know you will do great!!! :)